Saturday, March 21, 2009

To Lazy to Read a New Book



All personality A type people end up having to develop some sort of routine that will relax them enough they can sleep. It's nearly impossible to turn your self off well enough without it.

I've always "done" something. There were years when I would sew. As I had to do more and more of that in my business, it lost it's ability to relax me. So I started surfing the net at night.

But as my business took off, I found myself spending more and more time on the computer. Surfing the Internet prior to heading to bed was no longer relaxing.

Which left me with my faithful fall back, reading. To say I am an avid reader is like calling an ocean a pond. I laughed so hard I almost pissed my pants when I found out an avid reader is someone who reads 20-25 new books a year. I read that many a month. When I am heavily depressed and need the escapism more, I can double or triple that amount in a month. When life is going good and I have other interests taking up my time, I still manage to read a minimum of 15-20 books a month.

When I read an author I really like, I will purchase every book they wrote and keep them in boxes in my room. Luckily, ever 9-12 months my favorite authors change and I'll resell half of what I have and start out procuring new one's. I have two authors that I have reread their books more times than I can count Christine Feehan (paranormal) and Lora Leigh (paranormal erotica). I have read every copy of each of their books no less than five times each. These two women have the ability to transport me to a location and adventure like no other I have found. One that never gets old.

So, on days when I just don't have the energy or desire to conquer a new author, or face the disappointment of a so-so book . . . I pull out one of their books. I'll flip through my boxes and grab a story that sounds good. There is no pressure to finish the book, no concern about it being bad, no surprise that will keep me up or make me tense. They're my lazy books.

They do exactly what I need them to do. Relax me and allow me to slowly unwind so I can sleep without medication.

I had to laugh as I reread this post, because I might be leaving you with the impression the authors' books will "put you to sleep" and that is not what I meant at all. All of their books are filled with suspense, action, trials, romance, new worlds, and hot sex. LOL

They only relax me because I am familiar with them. They've survived several purges and I don't ever see getting rid of them, getting tired of them.

Anyone else have books they fall back on when they are to lazy to tackle a new author?

3 comments:

  1. Dean Koontz comes to mind for me.

    By the way, I gave you two blogging awards! Please see my blog (www.almarquardt.com/blog) for more info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book, "Where the Lillies Bloom" has been a "go to" book of mine for at least 15 years. I can read it in night and it gives me that same relaxed feel you describe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hum, The big book of Guns helps me relax...

    ReplyDelete