Monday, March 9, 2009

My mom use to . . .

Tori had an interview with three people at the University where she attends last week about a job as a campus dispatcher. She's been juggling two jobs since she's been attending; and this is her second year.

Currently, she works at a day care for $6 an hour 2-6 each week day and then works Sat and Sun at Wilson's leather. The dispatcher job starts out at $8 an hour and she can just sign up for whatever shifts she wants.

I met with her on Tuesday after her interview and she was buzzing with excitement. She did this well. She didn't like how she answered that. She'd never been interviewed by three people at once. She didn't ask detailed questions. She didn't do any research for her position. On, and on, and on.

But I knew she did well, because she was buzzing. She was "on." Tori is one of those people that can literally glow when her planets are aligned. You just want to stand near her and soak up the warmth of her personality and enthusiasm.

She called me a few hours later and said she got a call from them and if her references all checked out the job was hers. She was told not to turn in her notice yet, in case they had an issue in the process.

Today, she got the call telling here it was a done deal. Turn in her notice and come to work. The employee who contacted Tori asked her, "Did you take a class on interviewing?" When she told him she had not, he told her that she had blown them all away. "You just walked into the room and owned it."

Tori said she told him, "Well, my mom use to interview people all the time and I just tried not to do what she complained about."

When she told me this I was surprised. Oh, not that Tori got the job. They would have been idiots not to hire her.

What surprised me is that I don't feel like a person who use to interview people all the time. But I remember it, and she's right. I use to interview 50-100 candidates every year for some position or another. And I did come home and entertain the girls with the stupid shit people will say or do during a job interview.

But . . .

It's been almost 4-1/2 years ago, at least. More like, a little over 5 years. Which means Tori was at the most 15 years old when I was complaining about these people. That blows my mind.

You can spend an hour ever afternoon helping them practise their handwriting for a freaking YEAR and they won't remember that. You jokingly share the horrors of the interview process and they remember it like you inked it on their skin.

Just makes me wonder what else I taught my girls when I wasn't looking.

My mom use to . . .

Scary words.

1 comment:

  1. It's always surprising to know what your kids remember. That one was a good lesson...

    ReplyDelete