Saturday, March 14, 2009

And I Wish . . .



Will and I went on an awesome walk this evening. It's been kind of cool the last few days in our part of Texas and we've really enjoyed getting all dressed up in warm clothes and going for long walks.

We were only a few houses up when Will tackled me; and the chase was on. We'd chaise each other around and around until he caught me. Then I'd trip him and lay him out on the road for cars to run over and take off running. Oh yeah, just in case you were wondering . . . there were no cars.

We did this for about 10 minutes, until neither of us could breath. Then he noticed the dandelions in the yard we were passing. He grabbed one and blew on it like crazy. I told him, "You forgot to make a wish."

So he pulls up another one and wishes out loud, "I wish my mommy would be a good mommy tomorrow."

At first I was torn between crying and laughing. I knew he and I had been spending a lot more quality time together the last month or so. We laugh more. Play more. Tease more. I thought he was asking that I be this happy all the time.

But as he continued to grab the next 50 or so dandelions we passed, I come to realize it was more of a case of his saying not exactly what he wanted. He was wishing me a happy day tomorrow. Of coarse, he also wished:

  • For me to climb a tree and be happy tomorrow

  • For me to take him to a movie and be happy tomorrow

  • For me to tickle him and be happy tomorrow

  • For me to play with him and be happy tomorrow


I was mentioned in every one of his many, many, many wishes during our walk.

I tried to show him how to wish for other things. I wished to see Will's friend Charlie tomorrow and blew on a dandelion, then told Will to do it. He wished that I would see his friend Charlie tomorrow and be happy.

I thought maybe a more personal wish would show him what he should be doing, so I wished for my book to get published and blew on a dandelion. Will wished for momma to get a good book and be happy tomorrow.

It was a good walk. The weather was nice, the exercise felt great, and the company could not have been more fun or loved me more. And tomorrow, regardless of what else comes up, I will be happy.

As for me, I have no wishes tonigh.

I am the most loved woman in the world, for I am loved by my son.

1 comment:

  1. That is the sweetest love ever! I wish you to feel this way and be happy everyday!

    ReplyDelete