Thursday, March 26, 2009

Conversations Over Heard at Chick-Fil-A

I will admit to limited interaction with people outside of my family. But after overhearing these three conversations, during a one-hour visit to Chick-Fil-A, I'm not sure I'm missing anything.

It's a Long Story, But it Has a Happy Ending

These two women in their mid to later 30s were talking and I over head one say, "Yeah, well she died a few years back. It's a long story, but it has a happy ending." What? How is it possible for someone's death to be a happy ending?

It turned out the speakers younger sister had been married about three years when she found out she had cancer. She died within a year. Still waiting for the happy ending? Yeah, me to.

As it turns out, the dead sister was not religious or baptised. But through her death, the rest of the family found "God" and so it was all for the best.

Yeah, I can't say to much about this because I don't want to offend anyone with deeply religious beliefs. Let me just say that I would not consider it a good end to my life to die after a year of battling cancer because others might be drawn closer to God. 'Nuff said.

She's the Lucky One

Two other young mothers were talking. One had four children and was a stay-at-home mom; no small thing. They were both dressed nice and had decent cars. Their older children were in day-care programs and school activities.

Then I hear the mother of four say about her younger sister, "Yeah, she's the lucky one, she married a doctor." Immediately followed by, "I had to go marry the postman."

Poor postman.

Listening to Music in my Car

There were two men in their mid- to late-twenties sitting next to my table. One of them was trying to convince his friend to apply for a job where he worked. He was a security guard, and this is how he described his job.

"I sign in at 1900 hours and make a note that I swept the parameter. Then I go outside and have a smoke. I'll set out there and flirt with the women as they come in. Men, women dig uniforms."
You don't want to know what immediately followed this.

"Sure, I'll check the doors once or twice in an 8 hour shift. But mostly I just sit around. Hell, I'll set out in my car and listen to music for 2-3 hours. I hang out by the snack machines and talk to the ladies. I even put me a chair outside the back area so I can sit and smoke. I go in every once in a while and write down I'm doing an interior search, but I never do. It's a breeze and they pay good money."

I was determined to look and see if his company logo was on his vehicle when he left but I go sidetracked by the woman with the lucky dead sister.

1 comment: