Thursday, January 1, 2009

Getting Rocky off the Floor

Steve and I have two dogs: a 11 year old border collie named Rocky and a 10 year old mutt named Winkles (Bull Winkles actually). The average life span for a border collie is about 12-14 years. The average life span for a small mutt is about 18-20 years.

As would be the case, Rocky is the most beloved and we've noticed a huge decline in his health over the last year. In particular, he is having trouble getting up from the floor. We took all our carpets out and the floors in the center of the house are all tiled; and cold. Every time he goes to get up you can see his joints aching as he stumbles around.

When Bonnet was visiting she allowed Rocky to crawl on the futon with her and I didn't discourage it although I don't normally let the dogs on the furniture. What I noticed was how much better he got around during that week. So as soon as Bonnet left I started a search for a toddler bed. That is a bed low to the floor the size of a baby crib. I located a free one the next day and picked it up for my dog; although I didn't tell the donating party I was using their nice bed for a dog.

I bought used linens for the bed; small ones so they would be easy to through in the laundry on a weekly biases. I put the bed in the corner of the living room behind the couch and next to a window. I figured he could look outside; in the summer I'll open the window for him to get fresh air. It's really out of the way there.

So I introduce the dogs to the bed; it's really large enough that they both can sleep on it. As soon as Steve sees it he says, "Where are you going to put the other one?" And I'm like what other one. Then he points out that the dogs NEVER share a sleeping spot and that Winkle always gets the choice spot.



While Winkle ways in at about 12 pounds to Rocky's 60 or so; she rules the roost. There truly was never a bigger (well small really) bitch born. She eats first. Gets best sleeping spot. You name it; she's top dog. And yes, she got the bed.

For two days I watched and Rocky never got to sleep on the bed. So today I picked up a used crib mattress and tried slipping it under the toddler bed so just a part of it stuck out on the end. Figuring Winkle didn't need the entire mattress. Winkle took the top bed and Rocky was cramped on the little mattress. So then I pulled out the entire mattress and laid it next to the other bed.

For over 4 hours I watched and Rocky would not go near the bed or mattress. Winkle lay there just watching him.

Finally I pulled the damn thing feet away from the toddler bed and over behind the couch. Immediately Rocky came lay down and has been resting comfortably ever sense. I let them out once and he got up with out any sign of aching or weak joins. But his is now what the area behind my couch looks like.



What must one go through to relieve a little pain in the joints of an old dog?

1 comment: