Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chinese Fire Drill

Have you ever heard of a Chinese Fire Drill? It may be a southern, or a small town, thing; I'm not sure.

They were usually ran when you were out with a bunch of friends. The driver would pull up to a red light and stop and someone would shout, "Chinese Fire Drill." Then everyone would through the doors of the car open and jump out. We'd all run around the car like crazy until the light turned green. Then we would all jump in the door closest to us and take off.

It was fun, stupid, and probably only safe to perform in a small town. Hey, there were few things to entertain us back in the day . . . we had to take what we could get.

Regardless, the last week I've been participating in a Chinese Fire Drill every night; only instead of cars we've been using beds. And ewww, you nasty minded people! No, Will has been sick as well as going through some painful growing pains and he's not been staying in his bed.

This wouldn't be a big issue but for a few things. One, I don't like to be touched while I sleep. If Steve's foot wanders to my side of the bed I scoot further over. Even with a king size bed I will be hanging off the bed trying not to touch Steve or Will when he ends up in our bed.

Second, when Will is sick he wants Mama and only Mama. The other thing is that Steve goes to bed at 9 and Will and I somewhere between 11 and 1.

So this is the way my nights have been going:


Steve goes to bed at 9:00.
I put Will in his room to watch a movie at 9:00

Every 10-15 minutes for the next 2 hours
Will needs to pee, get a drink, or give me a kiss

About 11 I go lay down in the quest room
Will's movie is out and I have to put another one on

Will falls asleep
I go to bed with Steve.

Will comes in get it's our bed around 2ish.
I lay there with my eyes open until he's asleep.
I pick him up and take him back to his bed.
I go back to bed with Steve.

Will comes and gets back in bed with us about 3ish.
I lay there for 1/2 an hour trying to sleep.
I get out of bed and go to quest room.
Will shows up in quest room about 10 minutes later.

Will falls asleep in quest room.
I take him to his room between 4-5.
I get in bed with Steve.
Will comes in gets in bed with us.

I lay there for 1/2 an hour trying to sleep.
I go to guest room to sleep.
Steve wakes me when he gets up about 6:30.
I go get back in our bed.

I wake up at 7:30 like normal.
Will sleeps until 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment