Sunday, April 26, 2009

People we Use to Know

I think there are probably people out there that are pretty much the same in their 30s, 40s, or 50s as they were in their late teens and early 20s, but I don't know any of them well enough to identify them.

Me, my family members, and most of my friends are DRASTICALLY different people than we were in our late teens or early 20s. Part of that is due to the fact that we didn't really know who "we" were until much later.

I didn't even begin to know "Misty" until I was almost 26. I didn't know what I stood for, what I wanted out of life, or how strong I was. I didn't know what was important enought to fight for; or that I was even capable of fighting for what I belived in.

And those beliefs and understanding are sharpened and tested again and again as I continue to age. Some things that were held high as truths in my early thirties are unimportant in my early 40s. I'm sure this same pattern continues through out life.

So, my question is this . . . do you still know people you USE to know?

When you run into an old school mate 20 years later, they are not going to know anything about you NOW. All they are going to recall is the person they use to know. The person you may no longer be.

What do you do? How does it make you feel?

Does it depend on the person and where you were at that point in your life?

Just thinking . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment