Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Idiocrasy

Idiocrasies

–noun, plural -sies.

1. a characteristic, habit, mannerism, or the like, that is peculiar to an individual.

2. the physical constitution peculiar to an individual.

3. a peculiarity of the physical or the mental constitution, esp. susceptibility toward drugs, food, etc.

My Idiocrasies

Today I had occasion to ponder my own idiocrasies. To wonder at them, large and small. How I came by them and why they never go away.

Three of my own idiocrasies I had to deal with today:

1) I can't eat off a tray

Whether it's a fast food place, a cafeteria, or a hospital room, I need the food taken off the tray and set on the table before I can enjoy my meal. I've been known, when in crowded booths, to slip the tray under my feet, sit on it, or slide it between me and wall just to get my food off of it.

2) I can't look at dead things on the side of the road

Truth be told, I am never fond of looking at dead things. But when I am driving and there is a deer, dog, or some other animal in or beside the road . . . I can't look directly at it. I will mentally place a black box over it's bulk and do my best not to look in it's direction at all.

3) No looking over the overpasses

With my fear of heights, you would think I would just avoid overpasses. But I refuse to allow my fear to affect my choices. So when I need to, I use the overpasses. I maintain my current speed. But I stare, with tunnel vision, at the road (or car) directly in front of me. I do not look at ANYTHING else.

Conclusion

I have tons more . . . who doesn't. But I'm not bothered about them. They don't make me less of a person, just human.

What are some of yours?

Last Thought

Did you ever notice that the word idiocrasy seems to be made up out of a combination of idiot and crasy? Or, is that just me?

1 comment:

  1. My idiosyncrasies are so vast it would be hard to list them all. But I do have a friend that calls me "antiseptic annie" because of my germaphobia. I do not get into hot tubs because of germs. I know it would feel great but I can just picture other peoples sweat. Odd things have to be "even". Such as if I rub one foot the other foot has to be rubbed in a similar fashion and the same amount of time.

    ReplyDelete