Monday, March 15, 2010

Pulling out Hair


After weeks of inputting receipts for my business, contacting companies for forms that have disappeared, and proofing all our information, I was ready to actually "start" the taxes.

The first hurdle, software. Every year we have either been sent a CD in the mail or our dearly beloved father has purchased a copy for us. I really had no clue what tax preparation software cost. Sure, it's not to bad if you are filing a simple return. But if you require the ability to file a Schedule C, it skyrockets. I was looking at $70-$100. So I decided to look some more.

My friend, Charlene, suggested I try the free link off the IRS site for the software I wanted. Oddly, while on the H&R website, it practically said that if you needed the more in depth software you had to pay. By simply going through the IRS, I was able to use the same software for free. Go figure; oh wait, I am.

I created an account and quickly began to input data. Every once and a while I would have to run gather more information. In the past, our files were automatically input from the previous year, cutting down on repetitive entries. Not so now. During one of these searches, I timed out on the web site.

Attempting to log back in, I was told my password was invalid. I don't know if I keyed it in wrong or what. Clicking on the "I'm a dumb ass and forgot my password" button I went through the motions of getting a new password. What email address is assigned to your account? Mine, of coarse. What are the last five numbers in your social? I actually knew the answer to that one too. Go, me! Well, right up until I received the following message, "We do not understand your response."

Welcome to the club.

I tried reentering the information several times. I tried pasting in the information. I checked my verification email to ensure I was entering the right information. I shut down the program and brought it back up. I shut down the Internet and brought it back up. I rebooted the machine. Nothing worked. I searched for a service email address. They didn't have one.

I called the 800 number, but you can only get help during business hours. To bad they didn't say that online or while you were strolling through the ten rounds of "press this button."

So I called them first thing this morning. A great guy answered quickly and walked me through the process. Then he asked me for the same information I had entered. That's when things got funky. He told me he could not help me with the software because the information I had given him did not match the information on the account.

How the hell is that possible? I made the account. It is directed to my email address. I entered all the information. Hell, the security questions were even ones I'd picked out. Then I remembered it was a joint return.

I logged back on and entered Steve's social security number and was immediately allowed to reset the password.

Does this seem odd to anyone else?

1 comment:

  1. LMAO...but I can't tell you how many times I've done exactly what you did. The programs automatically use the first social on the form, so in your case you have steve first. After 7 years of joint returns, I almost always input my number first by accident. Must be all my single days...

    ReplyDelete