Monday, June 15, 2009

Senior Moment

I've always joked that I can't wait to turn 50, so I can be eligible for all the senior sales they have in town. Well, today, I got a little taste of that action.

I was checking out at a thrift store I like, when the cashier started stammering.

"Are you a . . . Are you a citi . . Are you a citizen?"

I was watching Will and trying to get my stuff up on the counter, so I was only listening with half an ear. But she was making no sense to me at all.

Then one of the other cashiers starts laughing at her. "What kind of question is that? Of coarse, she's a citizen."

Then it dawns on me. At this store, Monday is Senior Citizen day and everything is 1/3 off if you are over 50. Man, and I thought it was sort of sad when they stopped IDing me for alcohol purchases.

I told her I was not a senior citizen. I'm sure, to her young 20s, I must have looked like one. Whether she didn't hear me, or just felt so bad for insulting me, she gave me everything 1/3 off anyway.

I left the store really conflicted. Happy as hell I scored such a break in my purchased, and feeling quite a bit older than I am.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to that birthday next month now. lol

3 comments:

  1. For your birthday I thought I would surprise you with a dinner to Luby's at 4:00pm and start with soup, then move to prune desert. If you would like we can go earlier and get a great parking spot for your walker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet. But with your failing eye sight, I'm not sure you should be driving. Not to mention we might not make it home by 6:00; your bedtime. We can stay home and I'll warm up your Ensure for you.

    ReplyDelete