Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Toilet-Free Front Yard


Will and I were in the process of moving a toilet from our driveway to the backyard when Steve got home from work on Tuesday. He helped. I asked earlier in the week if I could give it away, but he wants to replace the one in our bathroom with this one when we redo the bathroom. So I'm stuck with a toilet sitting outside until then.

My new philosophy on junk in the yard is that it's okay as long as it's behind the wooden privacy fence. No one needs to know we have a toilet sitting outside but us - and our closes friends, relatives, and the neighbors.

Today was the first day I've been able to drive up to my house and not see a toilet in a long time. Maybe a year or more. Oddly, - well, at least odd to most people - this is not the first toilet to occupy real estate in my driveway since I've lived in this house. I'd go so far as to say that there have been at least five toilets, most at different times, greeting company as they arrived.

When Steve did handyman work full-time, he did a lot of bathroom remodels and he always ended up carrying off the old fixtures. He'd unload things in the driveway and when I got tired of looking at them I would haul them into the back yard. When he made a trip to the dump he'd haul everything off or I'd freecycle it.

Will and I have been steadily cleaning out our driveway and either throwing away junk or moving it behind the fence. You can actually drive all the way to the garage doors now. If the garage was clean you could park a car inside it.

Yep, life is good.

3 comments:

  1. After reading your post, I though it would be a good place to plant some flowers and add a sign that says "Free...Needs a Warm Butt... Inquire Within". If it sits to long on my property, I'll decorate it. lol

    I have to laugh since I have a husband that likes to drag home "good stuff" from job sites too. 99.9% of it is never used. I keep threatening to give away the scrap metal he has piling up on the side of my driveway, if he doesn't cash it in soon. You should see the reaction...If looks could kill! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, don't get me started on the pile of metal in the back yard. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that being the "butt" of the joke should fit in here somehow...I can't wait to see the drive toilet free!

    ReplyDelete