Sunday, April 25, 2010

I Don't Remember That


Today was Steve's birthday and it started fine, at least I thought it did. We gave him presents and lazed around the house until noon. We met Tori and Steve's folks for lunch at a steak house and came back home for home-made German Chocolate cake.

Where things got weird was when I started to tell Steve's parents about our new plans regarding handling the upcoming birth of my grand baby. You have to understand first off that I have been very worried about how I'd get to CO, who would watch Will, how the finances would be arranged, etc.

The main problem is that I can not drive more than about 3 hours without falling asleep, so there is no way I can drive myself to CO. If I go alone, I have to fly. Since there is no real telling when a baby will come, I can't purchase my ticket in advance. I'll have to pay the highest premium. If I fly in, then I'll have to rent a car. I also can't stay with Bonnet as she is now living with the ex, so I'll have to get a hotel room for the 3-5 days I was hoping to stay. And if all of this wasn't enough to worry about, what am I going to do with Will?

I talked, weeks ago, to a sister-in-law who volunteered to watch Will. Keep him for a solid week. Sounded good. But when we were down there recently, he wouldn't even spend a single night at her house while we were in town. I realized he's never stayed the night away from us. And for the first time to be in a strange town for an entire week - not going to work.

I'm also majorly concerned about funds. I expect to have to pay $1,000 for my tickets as they are going to be last minute. If I save my business funds from now until then, I'll nearly have enough to purchase my ticket. Then I'm going to have to use family funds, or Steve's credit card, to rent a car and pay for an hotel. Not to mention eat. And I still have no idea on what to do with Will.

So I'm talking to Steve about all of this last week, I think it was Wednesday night. As I was talking it all out, telling him the same things I've just shared with you, a solution comes to me.

If Steve takes off work and goes with me,
we can drive.
I don't have to find anyone
to watch Will.
We can make the trip on what
airfare would cost me.
Steve and Will can
have a vacation and do fun things
while I stay with Bonnet.

So, I suggest it.

We can manage to take only part of a week off depending on when we get the call. So part of a week and a weekend; 5 days. Even with a day to drive up there a day to drive back, that leaves us with three days to see the grand baby and the sights.

We talk about it a while and Steve finally says, "Let's try that."

I can't begin to tell you how relieved I was. After literally months of worrying about how I'd get up to see Bonnet and my granddaughter, everything seem to be coming together. Plus, we haven't taken a vacation in years. It will be nice to get out of Texas. All of us together. And Will can meet his niece and visit Bonnet.

It's perfect. And that's exactly what I tell my best friend at breakfast the next day. It's all settled. It's wonderful. Life is good.

So back to today. I start to share our new vacation plans with the in-laws and before I even get a complete sentence out of my mouth Steve breaks in . . .

"I don't remember that."


At first I thought he was joking. That would be so like Steve. So I smile at him and tell him to quit joking.

"No. I'm serious. We never talked about this."


Then the men start talking about how women ASSUME a discussion means an agreement . . . yada yada yada.

I was livid!

Everyone has the right to not remember a conversation. You do not ever have the right to state the conversation didn't take place because you can't remember it - that would mean I was lying. Nor do you have the right to put the blame on the shoulders of an entire sex. And I told them so.

Unfortunately, the rest of Steve's birthday wasn't as peaceful.

We were both upset for our own reasons and did our best to avoid any confrontations or discuss the elephant in the room.

I feel really bad this happened on Steve's birthday and I hate the strain it caused. We probably didn't speak to each other for five minutes the rest of the day and I got no good-night kiss or hug.

I feel really alone tonight and further away from seeing my grandbaby then ever.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry y'all had a tough day. Will can stay with me! He'll have fun with the kids! You can drive for 3 hours, get out of the car and walk around a bit, drive 3 hours, get out and drink coffee, etc. It'll work out!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already decided to go by myself. If I take my website offline I won't have to worry about a deadline and can take my time. I'm just going to take Will with me and drive until I need to stop and then stop. Even if it takes me two days to get there, it's no biggy. It will work out.

    ReplyDelete