Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Garage Door


Our house was built in the mid eighties and is beginning to show it's age. One of the most irritating issues is our garage doors. Most of the time they do not close all the way. As a result, we are always getting visitors in the garage. Frogs, snakes, birds, frogs, mice, etc.

Last year there was this one bird that kept trying to nest in the garage. Two of the windows had broken out of one of the doors and Steve ended up stapling up plastic to keep it out. Well, it - or another one like it -- didn't give up.

Over the last month, I've surprised a bird in the garage several times. When we left town this weekend we made sure the garage doors were completely closed. We were gone two days.

The evening we got back I went into the garage and heard a weak chirping noise.

Chirp . . . chirp . . . chirp.

A nest with a baby bird was somewhere in our garage and we'd locked the mother out all weekend. Steve wanted to just leave the doors closed and let the little bird die. I couldn't. It's a baby.

So Steve went back into the garage and opened the door a few inches.

The next day I was in and out of the garage all day as I worked on the driveway. As I headed into the house at the end of the night I made sure to close all the doors. A few hours later I didn't even have to go in the garage to hear the baby bird complaining - in a much healthier chirp.

Chirp! Chirp! Chirp!

I went in and opened the door a few inches.

I know why having a bird in your garage is bad. But in our garage it will stay until something (besides me or Steve) kills it or it flies away.

We really need some decent garage doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment