Wednesday, March 15, 2017

The Green Pants

At some point yesterday, Linden began asking me to look for a pair of green pants for a Lego person he wanted to play with.  First, let me share with you the process his requests usually take.

9:35 am   "Mom, can you find me a pair of green pants for the
                  Green Lantern?"
9:36 am   "Why not?"
9:37 am   "Please?"
9:40 am   "Okay, here are your options.  You can help me find
                  some green pants and I'll leave you alone.  Or, I'm
                  going to stay right here."
9:41 am   "You're going to make me sad."
9:45 am   "If you don't find some green pants for me I'm not going
                  to love you."

Then, I might get 10-30 minutes of peace before the exact process starts again; give or take a few sentences.  I did get an hour break from the request/demand when we went to the park to play.  

Due to my contrary nature, each time he repeats the process it just makes me less inclined to help him out.  Besides, his room is a disaster and he owns probably five gallons of tiny little Lego parts that I'd have to look through. 

It also bears sharing that he had in his possession at the time several alternative colors of pants.  I tried, at one point, to convince him that the Green Lantern was doing laundry and black pants were a completely acceptable alternative...but no luck.

After I put Linden to bed, I spent two hours trying to add hinges to a very small building.  The main problem being that the opening is slanted and two different hinges are needed.  I made such a mess, that in the long run, I ended up having to take everything apart.  I re-puttied the holes, sanded it down, and repainted the affected area.  

First thing this morning and I was back at it.  For three hours I screwed in and out eight different little screws, four of which can't be reached with my drill.  I even ended up having to replace all eight screws at least twice with longer screws as they eventually lost their grip.  And as I become more and more frustrated, I have to listen to the following sound track:

9:35 am   "Mom, can you find me a pair of green pants for the
                  Green Lantern?"
9:36 am   "Why not?"
9:37 am   "You told me yesterday that you'd find me some today."
9:40 am   "Please?"
9:41 am   "I'm to little to find them by myself."
9.42 am   "Will's still sleeping and he's mean when I wake him up."
9:45 am   "You're going to make me sad."

And it repeats every 10-30 minutes.

At eleven thirty I was contemplating using my hammer to smash the small building into timber; thus removing the need to have functioning hinges when Linden started on round five of "I need some green pants."

"Fine!  I'll find you some damn green pants."

I spent an hour going through every toy box, bag of toys, pile of toys, and his giant tackle box that is filled with just Legos.  Every time I'd find any person piece I'd put it in a container just in case he decided he needed an orange hand, frown face, or blond wig next.  I found a pair of green pants about thirty minutes into my search, but I kept going.  The break from hinges was greatly appreciated.  When I went back to work on my little house, the door was hanging perfectly in less than fifteen minutes. 

Apparently, the secret was green pants.

1 comment:

  1. HAHA! "you're going to make me sad" "I wont't love you"...that kinda shit right there would make me find those pants!

    ReplyDelete