Monday, March 13, 2017

My Little Village

I've been obsessed with having my own little library since I found out about them.  In case you are one of the other twelve people in America that hasn't heard about the Little Free Library program, here's a quick description: 

People build, or buy, their own small library (most are less then 20x20 inches).  Then they register their library by purchasing a sign from the official site ... this is the only way to get a charter number.  You display the library outside of your home or business.  You are responsible for stocking it, upkeep, etc.  It's a way to bring people in an immediate area closer together.

As with all things, I didn't start with a simple library.  I spent weeks pouring over every online library I could find and compiling a Pinterest file of the library designs that most appealed to me.  Since I predominately want to supply books for children, as our neighborhood is filled with them, I wanted a fun and engaging design.  I never did find exactly what I wanted.  But, I did find a company that makes adorable fairy homes.  After that, nothing else appealed to me.

Once I had selected the design I wanted to use, I had to make plans that included enlarging and making my library water proof.  This is also about the time I decided it would be best to have two separate buildings, one for children and one for adults.  And, of coarse, they should each be two stories.  Why not?  They always say dream big or go home.  The problem is that I am home and it's been over run with small buildings in some process of completion for over three weeks.

Oh, and it's not just two small buildings.  When looking at those hundreds of photos of little libraries I feel in love with the idea of adding a small house that could hold dog treats ... we have a lot of dog walkers in our area.  Then I needed a separate place to hold comment cards.  So my little library, that could have been made from some simple plans available for free online and easily completed in a weekend had turned into a small village of four building; two of which are two story. And they are still not completed.

Having to make my own plans sort of sucked.  I think I would have been okay if the buildings had been perfectly square; but they are not.  So I drew up what I thought were decent plans then cut out everything accordingly.  As I assembled each house I ended up recutting about half of my pieces ... and some for even a third time.  As you can guess, I am not a carpenter.  I have a better understanding of the tools used then most women and I excel at figuring out how things go together ... but that still leaves a lot of room for error.  And I have been abusing the hell out of the room for three weeks.

I have felt more frustration in the last few weeks than is good for my health.  But little by little, I'm winning.  There is progress being made and I can still stand to look at my little building at the end of each night.  I haven't thought of piling them in the back yard and setting them on fire more than once...a day.  I was hoping to finish them last week, but when making the original timeline I forgot that Will would be home for two weeks for Spring Break.  I was also unaware that Steve would be working 6-7 days a week during the entire process; most nights until dark.

Will's out of school this week too, so my progress is still slow.  I'm past the point of estimating when I might have them completed, but I'll post photos of them when they are finally up.  In the mean time, here is my inspiration for the designs I choose. 



Now, I'm off to work on my village.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to work I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment